Information you need to know before lodging an application for a new passport. Necessary documents, application forms and useful tips.

Applicants wishing to be issued a passport must apply, in person, at the Passport Office in their area of permanent residence. The applicant is required to fill out an application form and their details are electronically registered by Passport Office personnel. The application form is printed and once the applicant proof reads and verifies the accuracy of the stated details he/she then signs the form and along with it submits the necessary supporting documents.

If, due to serious health reasons verified by a medical certificate from a public hospital, the applicant is unable to apply in person, then an employee of the Passport Office is sent to collect supporting documentation.

Depending on whether the passport is a first issue, a renewal or a replacement passport due to loss or theft, the respective application form must be filled out.

  • More specifically, if it is the applicant’s first passport issue by the Hellenic Police (in accordance with the Law 3103/2003) the application form with the E1a code must be submitted. It must be noted that even if the applicant has an old passport issued by a Prefectural Administration-Courthouse-Consulate (in accordance with the Presidential Decree 417/93) the applicant’s passport application is considered to be a new application and therefore the E1a application form must be submitted.
  • On the occasion that a passport has been issued in the past by the Hellenic Police (in accordance with the Law 3103/2003) which, however, has expired or is about to expire within twelve (12) months from the submission of the application, the E2a application form is submitted.
  • In the case of the replacement of a valid passport issued by the Hellenic Police, the E3a application form is to be submitted.
  • Lastly, in the case of a new passport request because of theft or loss of a previous passport that had been issued by the Hellenic Police, the E4a application form is to be submitted.

In these cases of theft or loss, the data on the application form such as the old passport number and the expiry date are completed by the Passport Office.

In the case that the applicant is a minor, he/she must be accompanied by his/her parents or a legal guardian in order to submit all necessary supporting documentation. When both parents are guardians the physical presence of one parent and the written consent of the other, validated by the appropriate governmental authorities, will suffice. When neither parent can be present due to emergency reasons or reasons beyond their control the presence of a relative is necessary. The relative must have the relevant authorization of one parent and the written consent of the other parent whose signatures have been verified by the authorities. When parents can neither authorize a relative nor provide the written consent of the other parent, a Commissioner is appointed and the supporting documents are submitted by the persons designated in Articles 1601 and 1602 of the Civil Code. Emergency reasons, reasons beyond one’s control are defined as any sudden unexpected or unpredictable event which can in no way be avoided despite all efforts and care on the applicant’s part thus rendering the applicant incapable of seeing to their own matters.

The passport application form simultaneously acts as a signed statement of truth (Law 1599/86) whereby the applicant must truthfully state (a) whether he/she has ever been convicted, prosecuted or trialed for offences as stated in instance a, paragraph 2 of Article 1, Presidential Decree 25/2022 (b) if he has been declared a draft evader or a deserter and (c) if she/he has been prohibited from leaving the country. In the same statement of truth, the applicant must state his/her address and any special reasons justifying the, by exemption issuance of a passport (in accordance with Article 1, paragraph 3 of the Presidential Decree 25/2022) attaching all supporting documentation. The applicant must also state if he/she had been issued a passport in the past (according to the regulations of Law 3102/2003) which was lost, stolen and is hence requesting a replacement passport.

Consulates abroad accept supporting documentation for passport issuance to Greek citizens residing permanently abroad or temporarily due to work, studies, tourism or due to health reasons. Documentation must be submitted in person and, apart from rare exceptions, are the same as those that are submitted within Greece. The same procedure is followed except for the posting of the supporting documents and the dispatching of the new passports, carried out using diplomatic sacks via the appropriate department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Greek citizens, who permanently reside abroad, or are abroad for specific reasons and who find themselves in Greece for a certain period of time may, by exemption, submit supporting documents at the Hellenic Passport Office in their area of temporary residence.

Permanent overseas residents who wish to be issued a passport and do not have a Greek identity card, a photocopy of which is required to be submitted along with the application, must submit a birth certificate or certificate of civil (family) status from the municipality in which they are registered. Affixed on this certificate, given that there is a minor under the age of twelve (12), must be a photograph of the minor and validated certification of his/her identity. If, however the minor is over the age of twelve (12) the photograph and validated certificate of identity is only necessary if there is no valid Greek passport.